Tuesday 23 August 2011

Gonna have me a paint-tastic time

Over the years I've collected an array of mismatched, dated and generally manky-looking wooden furniture. Now don't get me wrong, I'm all for the shabby-chic look, but this was really taking it a step too far. I could never bring myself to throw away perfectly good, functional furniture so I've basically carted around these random pieces through 7 house moves in the last 15 years, believing that some day I will get round to sprucing them up...

Last year at the Homes & Interiors Scotland show I was lucky enough to see a demo given by talented decorative paint artists, Cait and Gibson of Carte Blanche, all about using Annie Sloan Chalk Paints. I was totally mesmerised by the possibilities of this fabulous paint and it reignited that thought in my head...to transform those sad-looking, characterless pieces of furniture into beautiful treasured pieces.




For some reason, I never did anything with it at the time but simply filed it away in my creative memory store under "must explore further". Fast forward a year on and I am about to take this paint exploration a WHOLE lot further...on Friday I will be taking receipt of a big order of this amazing paint!! Yay!! Double Yay!!

I can't wait to finally get started on my projects, but more importantly it also gave me an idea for part of my new business venture...to upcycle furniture! It makes perfect sense for the environment too! Reducing waste by turning unloved furniture into unique and beautiful pieces. A win-win situation if you ask me. All I can say is...Glasgow's charity shops & flea markets: watch out!


Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment