Friday 16 September 2011

Lovely balls of happiness

These days I feel like I'm never out of John Lewis' haberdashery department either buying craft supplies or drooling over getting inspiration from the gorgeous array of yarns for sale. Anyway, last Monday was no exception...we finished-up early at college so it was a perfect opportunity for me to pop in to JL's to get some ideas for my college design project. I had made-up my mind on using yarn to create a light shade...but the decision was what yarn to go for? After scanning the shelves for ideas I clapped eyes on THE most exquisite ball of yarn that I'd ever seen by a company called Noro. I know I fall in love easily with colourful pretty things, but this was definitely love at first sight! Just by looking at this yarn, I could see that a lot of love and care had gone into it's making. Every strand of this vibrant, beautiful yarn has a satisfyingly un-uniform, knobbly handmade quality.




Captivated, I wanted to find out more about the company and did a search on google as soon as I got home. The Japanese company was founded by Eisako Noro over 30 years ago. A man inspired by the world of nature, with a passion for colour and a dedication to creating yarns by hand as much as possible...this really was something rare and special in this high-tech, machine-manufactured age. On top of that, the company has a distinctly green approach to manufacturing...what more can I say? Mr. Noro you're a LEGEND!

Needless to say, my mind was made-up there and then, I just had to use this yarn for my project...I just hope I do it justice!



Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment