Monday 10 October 2011

London Calling

Last Saturday I had THE ultimate luxury for any Mama (courtesy of Mr. P and my in-laws!)...a full day to myself to do anything I wanted (though a long lie-in would come in as a close second...hint hint!). So I decided to make good use of my day and headed to London to check out the Power of Making Exhibition at the V & A and the first ever Renegade Craft Fair at the Truman Brewery.

The V & A is probably my favourite museum in London...not only because Mr. P and I had our 2nd date there, but I can easily spend hours lost in some of the best exhibits in the world...not to mention the very fine gift shop!


Wire-work Gorilla sculpture created by David Mach


A Ghanaian Lion Coffin by Joseph Tetteh Ashong


Air vase created by Tokyo-based Torafu Architects


I have to say the item that most captivated my attention was the pencil tip sculpture by Dalton Ghetti. It's amazing how in the hands of a genius craftsman, even an unlikely subject like a pencil can be transformed into a piece of extraordinary art. Apparently, some of his work takes years to finish...so not only does this man have heaps of talent, but also the patience of a saint!


There was no time for dawdling on Saturday, so after the V&A I headed straight over to the Renegade Craft Fair...


Tucked away in the East End hotspot of Brick Lane...buzzing with activity and excitement...I found many talented makers covering textiles, illustration, paper, jewellery, screen-printing, ceramics...here are a selection of a few of my favourites...


Funky screen-prints by Patrick Edgeley


Gorgeous screen printed cushions by Hazel Stark in delicious eye-popping colours.


Stunningly intricate paper cut artwork by Lekker Haas



Although I had decided it was going to be a looking and not buying trip...I just couldn't resist the exquisite detail and charm of the wooden block buildings created by Daniel Rossi of The Drawing Machine. The timber for each piece were off cuts reclaimed from a carpenter, lovingly shaped and illustrated upon...now that's what I call creative upcycling! I just adored the way he displayed the scenes, on pieces of corrugated cardboard cut to resemble mountain vistas....a nice touch! I now have three little houses sitting on my desk to remind me of my sweet day trip to London!




Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment